W-League Round 13 Wrap

With the end of the season drawing close, the W-League got very…. well, W-League this round. Melbourne City nabbed the premiership in a conclusive win over dwindling Wanderers, whilst Perth Glory hustled for the 3 points against Sydney. On Sunday, Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar complicated the top 4 positions with dominant wins for both, refreshing their goal differences.


Western Sydney Wanderers 0 – 4 Melbourne City FC

Written by Eric Subijano

The Hersday Night Football matchup saw Melbourne City clinch their second Premiership in five years with a convincing display at Marconi Stadium.

Rado Vidošić’s side dominated from the opening whistle, hitting the front on 12 minutes. Scottish international Claire Emslie won a penalty after being fouled by Alexandra Huynh and was also the player to take responsibility, calmly slotting the spot kick past Courtney Newbon. Emslie would then be the creator with half an hour played, helping a former Wanderers favourite make her mark on the scoreboard. Neat buildup play on the right flank led to Ellie Carpenter cutting inside and sending an unstoppable left foot shot into the net to double City’s lead.

Western Sydney only threatened briefly, most notably when Kyra Cooney-Cross sent a low strike just past the post after being set up by Cortnee Vine. City were able to play with patience and probe for openings, ending the game with 74% of possession.

It was no surprise when the away side made it 3-0 in the 63rd minute. Carpenter made sure it was a night to remember on a personal level, driving through the heart of the Wanderers defence and drilling the ball into the bottom corner. New American signing Ally Watt rounded off the scoring late on with her first goal in City blue, receiving Aivi Luik’s pass and finishing from close range.

The win was City’s second 4-0 triumph in the space of five days and tenth win in a row. Meanwhile, the Wanderers drop to fourth place – they require a victory over Perth Glory in Bunbury on Saturday evening to ensure their first finals appearance.

Photos Courtesy: KLZ Photography


Newcastle Jets 0 – 7 Melbourne Victory

Written by Daniel Hanney.

Melbourne Victory put last weekend’s 4-0 derby defeat behind them with an outstanding performance and a resounding 7-0 win over the Newcastle United Jets on Sunday afternoon.

From the very first run, down the left from Angela Beard in the 1st minute, it was clear who the hungrier of the two side were.

A minute later and Victory had their first goal of the match as New Zealand international Annalie Longo flicked on Jenna McCormick’s header from a corner at close range.

After three weeks between games, the Jets were unable to wake from their slumber and Longo capitalised again on the 7th minute mark.

After the Jets failed to clear in the box, Longo picked up the scraps and left the defenders hanging like last weeks washing to put the visitors 2-0 up.

Newcastle regained composure and managed to hold their own until the half hour mark when Dowie benefited from a ball over the top to get her customary goal against her favourite opposition.

From there it was all Victory as American import Darian Jenkins added two either side of half time before an own goal to Cass Davis and a goal to Melina Ayres rounded out proceedings.

The Jets have a quick turnaround, taking on Adelaide United away in Hersday Night Football as they battle to avoid the spoon and finish their season on a positive note.

Melbourne Victory return home to tune up for the finals in what should be a mouth-watering Big Blue on Saturday afternoon.


Sydney FC 1 – 2 Perth Glory

Written by Dale Roots

Two goals from midfielder Morgan Andrews helped Perth claim a well-deserved 2-1 victory over Sydney at Wollongong Stadium on Saturday.

A late own goal from Kim Carroll wasn’t enough to earn Sydney a share of the spoils from a match in which the Sky Blues dominated both possession and territory.

Starting with Amy Sayer and Taylor Ray in midfield, Sydney controlled the middle third of the pitch, with the two pivots working seamlessly with their front three to pick apart Perth’s defence, only for the last pass or shot to miss the mark.

That superiority was rendered worthless after 41 minutes, with Andrews opening the scoring with a pearler of a free kick. Dusting herself off after a late Ellie Brush tackle 25 metres from goal, Andrews slammed her shot into the top left corner to beat Aubrey Bledsoe.

Andrews doubled her side’s advantage just before the hour mark, capitalising on a lung-busting run down the left flank by Caitlin Doeglas to spin away from Lindsey Agnew and slide her finish under Bledsoe.

Despite Sydney’s continuous attacking raids, Perth continued to hold the Sky Blues at bay until deep into second-half stoppage time, when Carroll turned Sofia Huerta’s cross into her own net from the edge of the box.


Brisbane Roar 5 – 0 Canberra United

Written by Steffen Moebbus

Both sides had much to play for in Sunday’s clash in overcast conditions between Brisbane Roar and Canberra United at a packed Lions Stadium in Brisbane.

The Roar’s chances of playing finals were hanging by a thread, likely needing to win both of their last two games.

For their part, Canberra were playing their last game of the season, wanting to send outgoing coach Heather Garriock, and captain for the day Leena Khamis, on a high after a good win last week against Adelaide.

The home side’s motivation proved the greater of the two, racking up a 5-0 victory against a Canberra side that was unable to overcome two early conceded goals, with Garriock having spoken publicly during the season about her side needing to do better to overcome adversity.

Canberra’s causes were not aided by the omission of attacker Simone Charley from the squad. Fellow speedster Hayley Taylor-Young took her place on the wing, while Taren King started for Jessie Rasschaert in defence.

The Roar made three changes to their starting line-up after last week’s loss to the Glory, with Katrina Gorry, Rylee Baisden and Leah Davidson in for Tameka Yallop, Shea Connors and Natalie Tathem.

In a player of the match performance, Roar’s Carson Pickett got their scoring underway in style in the 11th minute after a cut-back from Baisden.

Five minutes later a handball then gifted a penalty spot goal to Baisden.

Chances would fall to Canberra’s L. Khamis and Elise Thorsnes during the game, but it was ‘one of those games’ for both attackers, and despite keeper Sham Khamis’ diving saves and Karly Roestbakken’s urgent examples to her team mates to play into attacking areas, further goals would come Roar’s way in the last ten minutes in the form of Pickett’s header for a brace, substitute Shea Connors’ strike with her first touch, and Baisden matching Pickett’s double right on full time.

The Roar will face a stern test to their finals ambitions in their final round game against Melbourne City, which should be a belter.


Round 14 Action

  • Thursday 27/2 7:30pm AEDT – Adelaide United (9) v Newcastle Jets (8)
  • Saturday 29/2 5:00pm AEDT – Melbourne Victory (3) v Sydney FC (2) 
  • Saturday 29/2 10:15pm AEDT – Perth Glory (7) v Western Sydney Wanderers (4)
  • Sunday 1/3 4:00pm AEDT – Melbourne City FC (1) v Brisbane Roar (5)